Top 5 Yeo Moments of 2015

Randy Ollie, Sports Editor

1. Ouch, That Stings!

The women’s basketball team earned a tough victory Nov. 24 over the Baldwin Wallace Yellow Jackets. The Yellow Jackets, ranked 25th in the nation, led for most of the contest, and when their lead extended to 10 points in the middle of the third quarter, it looked like the visitors might depart Philips gym with a win. Down by three with a little over a minute to play, junior forward Eleanor Van Buren knocked down a game-tying shot from beyond the arc, leveling the score at 61–61 and sending Philips gym into a frenzy. The Yeowomen then went on to get a crucial defensive stop, and senior captain Lind­sey Bernhardt hoisted up a layup in traffic for the go-ahead bucket. The Yeowomen are cur­rently 0–2 in the NCAC and 5–5 overall.

1. Yeomen Outfight Scots

The football team broke an eight-game los­ing streak against the College of Wooster Fight­ing Scots Oct. 17, leaving John P. Papp Stadium with a 28–23 road victory. Sophomore Chris­tian Flynn had a phenomenal performance in his first career start as quarterback, going 16- of-23 and passing for 236 yards and two touch­downs with no interceptions. First-year wide receiver Ryan Gleeson earned seven catches for a career-best 120 yards and one touchdown, and junior wide receiver Justin Cruz added 81 yards on six catches, highlighted by a 30-yard touchdown. The victory was Oberlin’s first win against Wooster since 2003. The Yeomen fin­ished their season 3–6 in the NCAC and 3–7 overall.

1. Heave-ho!

NCAA qualifier Monique Newton started off her sophomore campaign in dramatic fashion. The Sacramento, CA, native set a new school record Saturday at the University of Mount Union’s Purple Raider Toy Drive Invite, tossing the shot 14.29 meters to win the event and en­tering the Oberlin record books. Newton was also named North Coast Athletic Conference Player of the Week, capping off her record-breaking weekend.

1. Head Shot

The men’s soccer team defeated the Denison University Big Red Oct. 31 to keep their season alive and earn a spot in the NCAC Tournament for the second time in three years. After a tight first half, the Yeomen headed into intermis­sion with a slim 1–0 lead. However, the Big Red would find the equalizer less than a minute into the second half. Neither side could find a go-ahead goal in regulation or the overtime session, so the match went to a final overtime period before penalties would decide each team’s fate. In the 102nd minute of the second overtime, junior midfielder Adam Chazin-Grey delivered a superb cross to junior midfielder Nick Wertman for the game-winning header. The Yeomen were ultimately defeated 1–0 by No. 1-ranked Kenyon College in the first round of the NCAC tournament, finishing the season 5–4 in the NCAC and 11–7–1 overall.

1. Catch Me if You Can

Senior Geno Arthur paced his way to a NCAC Title Oct. 31, becoming the first male NCAC champion in Oberlin’s cross-country program history. Arthur’s victory was no small feat, as he edged out 2014 champion and conference rival Logan Steiner of Allegheny College with a time of 25 minutes, 0.7 seconds in the men’s 8-kilo­meter race, besting the competition by eight seconds. Arthur’s record-setting ways would continue at the Great Lakes Regional Champi­onship Nov. 14, where he became the first re­gional individual champion in program history with a time of 25:13.7 in the 8-kilometer race. Aruthur’s storied career would come to a close Nov. 21 at the NCAA championships, where he finished 22nd overall among the top runners in the country and registered his second consecu­tive All-American Finish.