Until Next Time: What’s to Come Next Semester

Tyler Sloan, Editor in Chief

Strategic Plan: College President Marvin Krislov said that a final draft of the Strategic Plan will be published in March. The Steering Committee released a draft, titled Oberlin College Strategic Plan 2016-2021: Shaping the Future, on Tuesday, Oct. 26, which was met with student concern regarding ambiguous language and future plans.

City Manager: Interim City Manager Sal Talarico will take over for outgoing City Manager Eric Norenberg when he leaves for a new management position in Milford, Delaware on Jan. 1. Talarico will serve as interim manager until the Council selects a permanent replacement by April.

Between the World and Me Dinner and Discussion: The Lewis House and Religious Life Center will host a dinner and discussion on Ta-Nehisi Coates’ critically acclaimed book Thursday, Feb. 4. Coates is a national correspondent for The Atlantic, where he writes about culture, politics and social issues. Between the World and Me was named one of the top 100 books of 2015 by The New York Times.

Multicultural Resource Center: The MRC continues its search for a new director with two candidates visiting campus in the next two weeks. Dean of Students Eric Estes said that a decision will be made shortly after all candidates’ presentations are completed.

Peter B. Lewis Gateway Center and Parking: The Peter B. Lewis Gateway Center is scheduled for completion by this winter, but the issue of parking space is still unresolved. As construction nears completion, City Council and the College continue debating how to address local business owners’ concerns regarding the loss of parking spaces. Local business owners fear that depleting the already scarce public parking downtown will result in decreased patronage and retail.

Renewable Energy Certificates: City Council tabled the discussion about how to allocate almost $800,000 in RECs until Monday, Dec. 21. Council is expected to make a decision early next year on how to invest the funds.