Review Security Notebook

Friday, Dec. 4

6:19 a.m. Safety and Security officers responded to a report of vandalism in the restroom on the third floor of Wilder Hall. Nail polish was thrown on several walls and doors and graffiti was written on the walls. A work order was filed for clean up.

10:22 a.m. Staff reported non-offensive graffiti on the walls inside the student elevator at Mudd library. Custodial staff was called to remove the drawing.

Saturday, Dec. 5

2:01 a.m. Safety and Security officers assisted a student ill from alcohol consumption at Zechiel House. An officer spoke with the student, who was able to answer questions and said they would be staying with a friend for the night.

2:53 a.m. Safety and Security officers assisted a student ill from alcohol and drug consumption at Barrows Hall. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

Sunday, Dec. 6

1:16 a.m. Safety and Security officers assisted a student having an allergic reaction at Barrows Hall. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

2:26 a.m. Safety and Security officers assisted an intoxicated student at Asia House. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

1:38 a.m. Safety and Security officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at Stevenson Dining Hall. A leaking copper line on a large compressor was found to be the cause of the alarm. Facilities Services was contacted for repairs.

9:29 p.m. A student reported a leaking pipe at the west interior basement door of Asia House. Safety and Security officers responded and found that the drain trap was loose from the pipe. Facility Services was contacted for repair.

Monday, Dec. 7

2:39 a.m. Safety and Security officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at South Hall. A strong odor of burnt marijuana was detected upon entry to the building. The resident of the room in question denied smoking at the time of the alarm, but said they were burning a candle. The student was advised of the College’s smoking policy.

2:00 a.m. Custodial staff reported non-offensive graffiti in the A-level restrooms at Mudd library. Custodial staff was on duty for clean up, and the graffiti was removed.

1:10 p.m. A student reported the theft of their OCID from the locker room at Warner Center. The ID was canceled.

2:25 p.m. A Safety and Security officer observed two individuals smoking on the roof of South Hall. The officer made contact with the students, told them they were not permitted on the roofs of College buildings and reminded them of the College’s smoking policy.

3:05 p.m. A student reported the theft of their bicycle from outside the Conservatory sometime in the past two weeks. The bicycle is a purple and silver Roadmaster, 21 speed. The bicycle was secured with a cable at the time of theft.

4:11 p.m. Safety and Security officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm in DeCafé at Wilder Hall. Smoke from burnt food triggered the alarm. The area was cleared and the alarm reset.

5 p.m. Safety and Security officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at a Goldsmith apartment. Smoke from burning sage caused the alarm. The area was cleared, and the alarm reset.

Tuesday, Dec. 8

1:54 p.m. Members of the Oberlin Police Department advised Safety and Security of an abandoned bicycle belonging to the Bike Co-op on East College Street by the Cable Co-op. A Safety and Security officer responded and the bicycle was transported to the Security Office for pick up by Bike Co-op staff.

6:19 p.m. A Safety and Security officer on patrol observed that the stop sign in the northwest corner of the Stevenson parking lot had been driven over, breaking off the pole below ground level. A maintenance technician responded and repaired the sign.