Women’s Soccer Shuts Out Pioneers to Earn Third Win

Erickson Andrews, Staff Writer

The women’s soccer team won its third game of the season last Saturday when the Yeowomen defeated the visiting Marietta College Pioneers by a score of 1–0.

The hero of the game proved to be first-year Cam Sacristan, who now ranks third on the team with six shots on goal. With time winding down and the score knotted at 0–0, the Yeowomen managed to gain possession of the ball and work it forward to sophomore Sarah Willete, who made the final pass to Sacristan for the goal with under 10 minutes remaining. This marked the second goal for Sacristan and the second assist for Sarah on the season.

Following the goal, the Yeowomen played stout defense and slammed the door on all of the Pioneers’ late chances.

“Our defense played a good game.  We were able to keep people from taking high quality shots and take the ball away effectively when we needed to,” said junior goalkeeper Kate Frost in regard to the defensive performance.

“I knew that if we could keep them off the board, our offense would come through in the end,” she said.

The late excitement wasn’t characteristic of the whole game, as the Pioneers managed just three shots in the first half, none of which were on target, while Oberlin couldn’t manage a single shot.  The second half was more dynamic for both squads, as Oberlin managed 10 shots, with six on net, to Marietta’s three with only one shot on goal.

Sacristan, first-year Taylor French and junior Abby Weiss set the pace of the team with two shots each. For Weiss, the scoring efforts were nothing new, as she ranks first on the team with nine shots on goal.

“Our offense played with a lot of heart,” said Sacristan. “We are building chemistry, having confidence in one another, and it shows on the field with good results.” With the advantage in targeted shots, the Yeowomen also enjoyed a 6-3 edge in corner kicks.  The Pioneers’ Stevie Reilly earned the only yellow card of the game in the 70th minute.

Unfortunately for the Yeowomen, Goalie Kate Frost injured her shoulder in the match and needed medical attention after the game. If Frost is unable to play, the team will rely on first-year goalkeeper Emilia Omerberg. Frost has been a huge part of the team’s early success this season, and it remains to be seen how the team will respond without her and whether the veteran-led defense will be able to step up to the challenge.

The Yeowomen are looking to take the momentum gained in this match into their next one, a North Coast Athletic Conference battle with the Wittenberg University Tigers on Saturday, Sept. 28.