Security Report: Nov. 1 to Nov. 7, 2012

Staff

Thursday, Nov. 1

7:33 a.m. An officer responded to a report of vandalism at Barrows Hall. Styrofoam packing material was found strewn about in the first floor lounge, notices were torn from bulletin boards and glass was broken in the stairwell landing between the first and second floors.

2:40 p.m. An officer on routine patrol of Johnson House barn observed that the crossbar securing the door had been cut in half. A work order was filed to secure the doors.

10:22 p.m. A resident of a Village housing unit on Woodland Street reported that the screen door to the south entrance was torn. A work order was filed to have the screen replaced.

10:05 p.m. A student reported her Droid touch-screen phone missing from the restroom in the Kohl building. The phone, valued at $100, was left unattended for approximately one hour.

Friday, Nov. 2

7:46 p.m. Officers and the members of the Oberlin Police responded to a report of a suspicious person at a West College Street Village House who had been to the house on three previous occasions. The Oberlin Police Department identified and made contact with the male by phone and advised him not to make any further contact.

11:31 p.m. An officer on routine patrol observed a large unauthorized party at an Elmwood Place housing unit. Residents were cooperative in ending the party.

Saturday, Nov. 3

5:20 a.m. Officers and the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at the Service Building. The building was checked, and no problem could be found. The alarm was reset with no further problems.

11:51 p.m. An officer on patrol observed an unauthorized party at Keep Co-op. Several unopened cans of beer were confiscated, and the party was closed down. Officers responded a second time at 1:01 a.m. to clear approximately 200 people from the building again.

Sunday, Nov. 4

1 p.m. An officer on patrol observed vandalism to four light poles in North Quad. A work order was filed to clean up pieces of the poles.

11:40 p.m. A student reported being harassed by three males at the corner of West College and Professor Streets as she was walking by. The males, all from Lorain, were located and identified. The individuals said that they were leaving town.

Monday, Nov. 5

1:45 a.m. Officers and the Oberlin Fire Department were alerted to a fire alarm at Kahn Hall. Food burned in the microwave was found to be the cause of the alarm. The alarm was silenced and reset with no further problems.

12:54 p.m. A student reported the theft of her jacket and backpack, which were left on a bench in the women’s locker room in Phillips Gymnasium while she attended a class. An officer located the backpack; all items were intact except $10 cash and a Verizon Samsung cell phone, valued at $100.

7:31 p.m. Officers and the Oberlin Police responded to a report of a suspicious person outside the west entrance of Allencroft. The male was located and identified. He told officers he was waiting for a friend. He was walked to his vehicle and left campus.

8:45 p.m. A student reported her backpack missing from her practice room at the Conservatory and advised security of a suspicious male exiting the practice room next to hers. An officer checked the area for the suspect with negative results. The backpack was located. A credit card and approximately $100 cash were taken.

Tuesday, Nov. 6

2:51 a.m. Paramedics from Mercy Allen Hospital requested assistance gaining entry to South Hall in response to a 911 call. An ill student was transported to Mercy Hospital for treatment.