Yeowomen Prevail, Yeomen Fall to Spartans

Mike Plotz

Junior Ben Miyamoto dives in last weekend’s meet against the Case Western Reserve University Spartans. The Yeomen fell while the Yeowomen prevailed in the meet.

Michaela Puterbaugh

The swimming and diving team split its meet this past weekend against the Case Western Reserve University Spartans, with the Yeowomen coming out on top by a score of 145.5–94.5 and the Yeomen falling 148–80. The meet marked both sides’ fourth of the season and second non-conference contest. The win pushed the Yeowomen’s record to 2–1 and dropped the Yeomen to 1–2.

“Overall, I was really excited with how the meet went,” said Head Coach Andrew Brabson. “We had a tough meet against [The College of] Wooster the previous weekend, and this weekend was definitely redemption for both men and women.”

Leading the Yeowomen to victory were juniors Lauren Wong, Deirdre Haren and Samma Regan and sophomore Vera Hutchison; the quartet placed first in the 200- yard medley relay with a time of 1 minute, 53.07 seconds.

Wong proceeded to clinch an individual win in the 100- yard backstroke race with a time of 1:01.48. Regan also shone solo when she finished in first place in both the 100- yard breaststroke and the 50-yard freestyle races with times of 1:10.73 and 25:30 respectively.

Other contributions came from sophomore Nora Cooper, who placed first in the 100- and 200-yard freestyle.

“I want to support our swim team in every way I can,” said Cooper. “Scoring at meets is just a small part of how each of us can chip in, but it still is important, and it feels wonderful.”

Still more individuals for the Yeowomen garnered accolades for the team. Sophomore Maddie Prangley finished first in the 500-yard freestyle, and first-year Oriene Shiel added more points when she won the 1,000-yard freestyle.

“I thought that our team’s mindset was very positive during this meet,” said Cooper. “Everyone seemed so full of energy. It was an amazing feeling to be standing behind the blocks before your race and see your teammates along the pool to cheer for you.”

Although the Yeomen could not take away an overall victory, they did come away with a few wins from senior Chris McLauchlan and sophomore Nils Gudbranson.

“Our men’s team is so small, so a win against much bigger teams is extraordinarily unlikely,” said Gudbranson. “Every member of the men’s team is a fighter.”

Gudbrandson earned first place in the 50-yard freestyle and the 100-yard freestyle. In the latter, he was able to achieve a season-best time of 49.60.

“To win the 50 and get a best time in the 100 this early on in the season means everything to me; it shows me I can help the men’s team in a meaningful way,” he said.

All-American diver McLauchlan’s scores of 263.40 on the one-meter board and 275.85 on the three-meter board drew in additional points for the Yeomen.

Despite the tough loss, senior captain Jack Redell said the team has maintained a positive outlook on the rest of the season.

“Thus far, our team looks really great. We’ve got a really great attitude this season. Instead of starting a little late like we did last year, this year we started on time, and you can really see the confidence in our coach as a returning coach of the team,” said Redell.

The swimming and diving team will take on a tri-meet this Saturday, Nov. 15 in Ada, Ohio against Ohio Northern University and Wittenberg University at 1 p.m.