Feature Photo: Colors of Rhythm

Back to Article
Back to Article

Feature Photo: Colors of Rhythm

Photo by Kellianne Doyle, Staff photographer

Danny Evans and Louise Edwards

College senior Leah Wood, left, College senior Jason Ihm, double-degree senior Matthew Blankinship and College junior Zoii Barnes of OC Taiko present an intense, rhythmically tight performance Wednesday night. OSlam, the South Asian Students Association, the Chinese Student Association’s Wushu Team, the African Students Association, In Solidarity, Filipinx American Students Association Band, Movimiento and Umoja joined OC Taiko for the 20th annual Colors of Rhythm performance at Finney Chapel.

Oberlin’s Multicultural Resource Center hosts the yearly performance, which is dedicated to crafting a space for artists of color on campus, allowing them to showcase cultural dance, music and poetic forms not always discussed in academic curricula. Colors of Rhythm was well- attended this year, and all of the event’s proceeds will be donated to the Undocumented Student Scholarship Fund.

OC Taiko aims to build community through the appreciation of the Japanese musical form and performs at events on campus such as the Big Parade and Commencement, as well as teaching an ExCo and community class. On April 3, the organization will host Taiko Master Kenny Endo’s Contemporary Ensemble at Finney Chapel.