Local News Bulletin

Survivor Support Week

Survivor Support Week is a series of events put on by College senior Amethyst Carey, College senior Zia Kandler, College junior Laura Shriver and College junior Lexie Bean. The week, April 11–16, is centered on healing for survivors of sexual, domestic and interpersonal violence. April is Sexual Assault Awareness and Prevention Month, and the students organizing the series found it important to provide educational resources that recognize the needs of survivors. Activities include support groups for survivors to discuss their experiences with others and panels where others share their stories of survival.

Career Center to Conduct Needs Assessment

The Career Center is conducting a needs assessment of students and recent alumni to start fulfilling goals outlined in the Strategic Plan. The plan states that the Center’s primary goal is to help all students and recent alumni find and obtain meaningful career goals that build on their experience at Oberlin. Throughout April, juniors, seniors and alumni will be able to give the Center feedback through focus groups and an online survey. Polly Washburn, OC ’90 and Chair of the Careers Committee, said that the assessment would also give the new director of the Career Center a more informed perspective on Oberlin’s culture. Staff members from the Conservatory, the alumni office, athletics and student life are partnering with the Career Center in their efforts.