Security Report: Thursday, Oct. 30 – Wednesday, Nov. 5

Thursday, Oct. 30

12:50 p.m. A student reported the theft of a bookbag from Dascomb Hall. The bookbag is red and blue and contained a silver MacBook Air valued at $850, a small Canon camera, an iPhone charger, Apple ear buds, a book and folders.

Friday, Oct. 31

3:06 p.m. Officers responded to an odor consistent with burnt marijuana on the first floor of East Hall. The occupant of the room admitted to smoking marijuana, and the officers reminded the student of College policy on smoking. There was no contraband in plain view.

4:52 p.m. A staff member reported observing broken beer bottles and students possibly smoking marijuana at the art studios on East College Street. The students were identified and admitted responsibility.

Saturday, Nov. 1

12:19 a.m. Officers were requested to assist a student ill from alcohol consumption at Finney Chapel. The student was unable to identify themselves and was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

12:55 a.m. Officers were requested to assist an intoxicated and unresponsive student at Kahn Hall. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

1:02 a.m. Officers were requested to assist a student ill from alcohol consumption at Wilder Hall. The student was able to answer all questions asked and was transported to her dorm for the night.

9:45 p.m. Officers responded to the report of a suspicious individual near the southeast door of South Hall. The officers and members of the Oberlin Police Department thoroughly checked the interior and surrounding exterior of South Hall but did not find anyone.

Sunday, Nov. 2

12:54 a.m. Members of the Oberlin Police Department responded to a 911 call from South Hall to assist an unresponsive individual. Security officers also responded, and the intoxicated non-College-affiliated individual was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

2:14 a.m. Officers were requested to assist an intoxicated student on the third floor of Langston Hall. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

2:30 a.m. An officer observed a discharged fire extinguisher on the west side of East Hall. The extinguisher was discharged on the wall of East Hall and in the grass. The fire extinguisher was located and transported to the Security Office, and a work order was filed.

5:21 p.m. An officer responded to Philips gym to assist a student who injured his ankle playing basketball. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

Monday, Nov. 3

1:31 p.m. Officers responded to a report of the odor consistent with burnt marijuana on the second floor of Dascomb Hall. The officer made contact with the occupants of the room in question. They denied smoking or possessing any contraband.

5 p.m. A resident of South Hall reported that an unknown person entered his room while he was in the restroom and took his iPad. Members of the Oberlin Police Department were contacted and told the student that an iPad fitting his description had been turned in to the station. The student was transported to the station and his iPad was released to him.

Tuesday, Nov. 4

7:02 a.m. An officer on patrol noticed that the exterior north wall of Kahn Hall had been sprayed with silly string. A work order was filed for clean up.

8 a.m. An officer on patrol observed a vandalized tree near the Memorial Arch in Tappan Square. Unknown person(s) sprayed painted the tree with purple paint. The Grounds manager was notified of the damage.

Wednesday, Nov. 5

12:53 p.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at Dascomb. Smoke from overheated cooking oil activated the alarm, which was then reset.