Review Security Notebook

Thursday, Feb. 19

11:24 p.m. A resident of a North Pleasant Street village housing unit reported broken water pipes in the utility room. A facilities plumber responded for repairs.

Friday, Feb. 20

12:43 p.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm on the fourth floor of Noah Hall. A rapid temperature spike in the bathroom activated the detector. The alarm was reset with no further problems.

Saturday, Feb. 21

2:47 p.m. A student reported losing a ring with three keys somewhere in Mudd Library, East Hall or Harkness House. A search of these locations was made, but the keys were not located.

3:26 p.m. A student reported the theft of a long, tan L.L.Bean coat at a party attended at a South Professor Street residence. A wallet, a cell phone, a driver’s license and keys were in the coat pocket at the time of theft.

9:10 p.m. Students reported a suspicious male leaving a practice room on the second floor of Robertson Hall. When confronted, the individual left the area. Upon checking the room, cash was discovered to be missing from a wallet. Officers responded and searched the area, but the person was not located.

10:06 p.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to an activated smoke detector on the first floor of Barrows Hall. Burnt popcorn was the cause of the alarm. The alarm was silenced and reset.

Sunday, Feb. 22

11:26 a.m. A student reported the loss of a wallet while walking from Prospect Street to Wilder Hall. The wallet is navy blue with pink and green polka dots and has a wrist strap. The wallet contained numerous cards, a driver’s license and approximately $20.

11:15 a.m. An officer on patrol observed a vehicle with a broken driver’s side rear window in the Woodland Street parking lot. The owner of the vehicle met with an officer and a member of the Oberlin Police Department. Nothing appeared to be missing at the time of report.

1:58 p.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at Hall Auditorium. After verifying that there was no fire, the officers reset the alarm.

3:19 p.m. A Philips gym staff member reported a large number of players in the gym whom they did not believe to be college students or staff. Those individuals without an Oberlin College ID or membership left the area with the understanding that they were not allowed to return without a membership.

8:51 p.m. A resident of a Woodland Street village house reported the theft of an ornamental goat head from a party the previous night. The goat head is a traditional piece handed down each year by the men’s rugby team.

9:30 p.m. An individual reported water damage in the women’s visitor locker room on the first floor of Philips gym. An officer responded and observed water coming out of the pipes and several ceiling tiles lying on the floor. The Facilities Manager on call was notified.

Monday, Feb. 23

4:22 p.m. Officers responded to a Goldsmith Street apartment after several smoked marijuana cigarettes, a box with incense, a candle, a bag and container with a substance consistent with marijuana, a grinder and glass pipes were confiscated during a Life Safety inspection. The items were turned over to the Oberlin Police Department. A plastic bag was also removed from the smoke detector.

Tuesday, Feb. 24

3:58 a.m. Officers were requested to assist a student ill from alcohol consumption at Firelands Apartments. An ambulance was requested and the student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

12:12 p.m. Officers were requested to assist with an employee who fell in the Rathskeller in Wilder Hall, injuring her knees. The employee was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

3:51 p.m. An Oberlin College alumnus reported the theft of a debit card from his wallet while playing basketball at Philips gym. The debit card was canceled.

6:14 p.m. Officers responded to a Life Safety inspection at Firelands Apartments. Two detectors and an air vent were found covered with bags. The officers confiscated a hookah containing a substance that appeared to be tobacco.

9:03 p.m. A resident of Barrows Hall reported a strong odor of cigarette smoke on the second floor. Officers made contact with the occupant of the room in question, who admitted to smoking in the room. The occupant was advised of College smoking policy.